If you are a BIPOC in the fiber community, then you’re aware of other BIPOC makers speaking up due to the lack of opportunities, being overlooked, ignored, treated differently at LYS and much more. So that is why I have created the BIPOC make-along as a chance for every Black, Indigenous, People of Color to have their opportunity to gain exposure while also financially helping them.
The past make-alongs have been highly successful and if you would like to read more about them visit the blog posts for BIPOC MAL 2019 and BIPOC MAL 2020 Winter . I can only thank all of you all, the amazing members of this community, for being as awesome as you are for letting this event gain as much exposure as it has.
The BIPOC MAL will still be an stress-free crochet and knit event for yarn lovers and BIPOC designers supporters. The only rule for this round of the MAL is that:
The designer is Black with 10k or fewer followers on Instagram.
What is a Make Along?
A make along is a virtual party for crocheters, knitters or any makers around the world. It’s an opportunity to try new patterns| stitches and skills, discover new designers, meet like-minded makers, make new friends, work on your make 9, and win great prizes!
The event runs from October 1st to December 18th 2020, but you can join the party anytime. Pick any free or paid pattern from a Black designer with 10k followers and fewer, share your progress on Instagram|Facebook, and you’re in the running to win some awesome prizes.
PRIZES, PRIZES, AND MORE PRIZES!
It wouldn’t be a proper MAL without prizes, now would it? This year I have decided to go in a different direction. I will NOT be having a pre-giveaway this time around. The prizes will be given out through a weekly bases.
For example, to gain access to the first prize you will HAVE to make something and have it entered anytime from the 1st and the 9th of October. And then for the second prize you would have to have something entered in from the 10th to the 16th and so forth.
Now the moment you’ve been waiting for… The prizes!
- Prize 1: 2 balls of Studio Classic by Nicole in Golden Yellow by yours truly, @desamourdesigns and 4 pin Buttons of your choice from Claudia @crochetluna
- Prize 3: 3 Skeins of hand dyed yarn by Fatima | @aquarius_make (Winner will be able to select the base for their skeins)
- Prize 4: (1) Tote bag, postcards and enamel pin by the BIPOC in fiber team| @bipocinfiber
- Prize 5: 2 skeins of hand dyed yarn and a stitch marker set by Robin from Birch Hollow Fibers | @birchhollowfibers (Winner may choose any yarn from Robin’s shop)
- Prize 6: Prakruti Shawl pattern by Divya Bhat | @stringtierey
- Prize 8: Stepping Stones Cardi pattern by Rebecca McKenzie | @ragingpurlwind
- Prize 9: 2 skeins of hand dyed yarn by Rachel | @flyydyed
- Prize 10: Raspberry Splash Shawl pattern & yarn to make it by Elisa DeSena | @stringsandcuddles
- Prize 11: Lazy Sunday State of Mind Sweater Pattern by Nancy Ricci | @gettingpurlywithit
So… How do I win?
- Instagram: Tag your MAL progress photos with #BIPOCMAL2020 and #bipocmal2020week1 (or whichever week you’re entering your project for) as many times as you wish. You must also tagged the designer and have the pattern name as part of your caption. A winner will be chosen on the days mentioned above and announced in my stories. Your Instagram account must be public to win.
- Facebook: Join the Desamour Designs Facebook group and post your progress photos to the most recent MAL update thread. You must also tagged the designer if they are on Facebook or add their Instagram handle and have the pattern name with your image shared in the weekly thread. One winner will be chosen at the end of each period and announced in my stories and in the thread of the Facebook group.
Don’t forget if you also used yarn from a BIPOC dyer, mention them along with their instagram and/or facebook handle.
Ready? Choose your pattern(s)!
I’m super excited about BIPOC Make Along 2020! I’m crazy excited to see the patterns and designers you discover this year. Find your favorite Desamour Designs and other BIPOC pattern or patterns, get your yarn ready and let the making begin.
Share the image below on your Instagram stories|feed|Facebook page to let your friends know you’re joining the BIPOC Make-Along 2020 party!
Below is a short list of designers and dyers who you may want to look into for this patterns, most are new to me. Please do not rely solely on this list. A lot of BIPOC accounts have highlights and lists of BIPOC designers, please research and find patterns and designers you love through them. BIPOC in Fiber has an extensive list on their blog CLICK HERE TO VISIT. BIPOC Makers Project is also a good resource to discovering new designers.